I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from The Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity - the pure love of Christ - will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness.
- President Marion G. Romney

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Lesson 6 - Part 2

We have read sections 6; 8; 9; and 11, so now we will dive into the questions in the assignment.

"Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart.
"Now, behold, this is the spirit of revelation; behold, this is the spirit by which Moses brought the children of Israel through the Red Sea on dry ground." --D & C 8:2-3
"Yea, thus sayeth the still small voice, which whispereth through and pierceth all things, and often times it maketh my bones to quake while it maketh manifest..." --D&C 85:6

These verses teach us how the Holy Ghost communicates with us. Why is it important for us to understand how the Holy Ghost communicates? How can we be more trusting of the peace that the Spirit speaks to our minds? Why should we submit our will to God's will when we seek personal revelation? How can we know whether a revelation is from God?

"And now, verily, verily, I say unto thee, put your trust in that Spirit which leadeth to do good- yea, to do justly, to walk humbly, to judge righteously; and this is my Spirit.
"Verily, verily I say unto you, I will impart unto you of my Spirit which shall enlighten your mind, which shall fill your soul with joy;
"And then shall ye know, or by this shall you know, all things whatsoever you desire of me, which are pertaining unto things of righteousness, in faith believing in me that you shall receive." --D&C 11:12-14

Please, feel free to share your thoughts. Tomorrow : A scripture chain on recognizing the still, small voice.

4 comments:

Amanda D said...

I think that it is important for us to understand that the Holy Ghost communicates differently for most people, and recognizing it in our personal lives can be a challenge, but when we do, we are able to respond the his promptings and feel the comfort of the Savior.

Sometimes, the answer we are hoping for might not be the answer we get which is why we have to submit our will to that of Heavenly Father, although to be honest, I never thought of that before. And I sit here wondering, if I have done that as I should.

Pam said...

I was talking to my Dad last week about recognizing answers from the spirit. He was telling me that he was always waiting for a"burning in his bosom"(D&C 9:7) but later realized that when he "felt it was right" that was the answer he was looking for. I think for me the key is to keep asking and listening carefully for the answer. It also helps me to recognize what things drive the spirit away.

In The Doghouse said...

In section 8 of the Doctrine and Covenants when explaining what revelation actually is the Lord uses the example of Moses and the parting of the Red Sea.

This example can give us so many different levels of understanding. One of my favorite illustrations is that of being will to "put your money where your mouth is".

When the children of Israel get to the Red Sea they murmur, of course! lol Moses then does what all prophets do and quiets them with his burning testimony of the Lord and His power to save:

“And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever.”

The next instruction that is given is from the Lord to Moses:
“Wherefore criest thou unto me? speak unto the children of Israel, that they go forward: But lift thou up thy rod, and stretch out thine hand over the sea, and divide it: and the children of Israel shall go on dry ground through the midst of the sea.”

In other words, you obviously KNOW in your mind what to do, you have the priesthood and the power to do it. You have born witness that you KNOW what to do from your heartfelt testimony...NOW DO IT!

I believe that our mind already knows truth, it is a matter of our heart following through with it!

Jocelyn said...

""when he "felt it was right" that was the answer he was looking for. I think for me the key is to keep asking and listening carefully for the answer. It also helps me to recognize what things drive the spirit away.""
Pam, I love these thoughts. I especially like recognizing that we don't always receive revelation in the same way and it's important to recognize it for ourselves. Also, the really important concept of eliminating the things that drive the spirit away. That's probably one of the biggest factors, isn't it?