I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from The Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity - the pure love of Christ - will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness.
- President Marion G. Romney

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Mormon 4 and 5

I really enjoyed these chapters. They are still sad, but look! Mormon sent a message to people like me who found these chapters sad.

Mormon 5:8-11

And now behold, I, Mormon, do not desire to harrow up the souls of men in casting before them such an awful scene of blood and carnage as was laid before mine eyes; but I, knowing that these things must surely be made known, and that all things which are hid must be revealed upon the house-tops—

9 And knowing that a knowledge of these things must come unto the remnant of these people, and also unto the Gentiles, who the Lord hath said should scatter this people, and this people should be counted as naught among them—therefore I write a small abridgment, daring not to give a full account of the things which I have seen, because of the commandment which I have received, and also that ye might not have too great sorrow because of the wickedness of this people.

10 And now behold, this I speak unto their seed, and also to the Gentiles who have care for the house of Israel, that realize and know from whence their blessings come.

11 For I know that such will sorrow for the calamity of the house of Israel; yea, they will sorrow for the destruction of this people; they will sorrow that this people had not repented that they might have been clasped in the arms of Jesus.


Why do you think these people chose not to repent?

Why do you think Mormon decided to be the commander of the armies again?

Do you think that it was good that Mormon held back in his description of the wickedness of the people or do you think it would be helpful to compare and contrast to our day?

Even as wicked as we are today, I think that in times of desperation we as a nation, people still turn to God for help. That gives me hope.

Who do you think the "remnant of Jacob" is who could come and be as a young lion and tear to pieces the unrepentant gentiles. I think this is in the last verse of Chapter 5. I have my guesses, just wondering if you concur.

I'll post again today with Mormon 6 and Moroni 9.

Janelle

No comments: