I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from The Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity - the pure love of Christ - will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness.
- President Marion G. Romney

Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Challenge to Become - Elder Dallin H. Oaks (oct. 2000)

This talk comes from the the November issue of the Ensign. I found this talk while doing some research for a talk I was asked to give in church. I really enjoyed reading it. I enjoyed it a whole bunch. So, read and discuss. If you'd like to.

1 comment:

bjackson photography said...

Hi, I am Bonnie again, I participated once and then did'nt stay with it so I am back now. What a great talk. I loved the part that rather than being judgmental we should try harder to be concerned about ourselves. Often times if I lean toward judging, I try hard to place myself in that persons situation. It works sometimes and others sometimes not.

I especially liked the parable about the workers in the vineyard and the point it made that it did'nt matter how long we had been working at it (since I am a convert this really appealed to me), but by how much we were actually learning and "converting" to the gospel. That's what really counts. How much are we retaining and actually living rather than just going through the motions. I study a great deal about the gospel and I do understand it and love it, but obedience is a weakness for me that I have to work on all the time. Do you suppose that I am not truly converted if I cannot stay obedient at times?