I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from The Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity - the pure love of Christ - will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness.
- President Marion G. Romney

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Lesson 10, part 2 "Likening the Scriptures to Ourselves"

The scripture chain in this lesson is "Likening the Scriptures to Ourselves". Did you see the article in this month's Ensign under the same name?

Some of the suggestions in the article were:
  • • What situations in my life are like the situations in these verses?

  • • What are the principles in this chapter that will help me in my own circumstances?

  • • What events or circumstances in my day are like the events or circumstances in these verses?

  • • Is there something in this chapter that helps me with a current personal problem, question, challenge, or concern?

  • • Is there something taught that is similar to what the living prophet and apostles are teaching today?

  • • Is there something taught that could help with an issue the world is struggling with today?

Do you have other ideas that we can use to help us personalize our scripture study? Please share your thoughts in the comments!

Scripture Chain:
1 Nephi 19:23
D&C 25:13–16
D&C 61:36–37
D&C 82:1–6


1 comment:

Amanda D said...

I have a hard time likening scriptures to myself. Especially when I read the D&C...I guess because so many of the revelations were to specific people. I do gain bits of knowledge and comfort from different things in the verses, but I'm sure I could do better and applying them more in my life. Thanks for the list of suggestions.