I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from The Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity - the pure love of Christ - will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness.
- President Marion G. Romney

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Lesson 11 cont... sort of....

Sorry about the lack of posts, but I've had a nasty head cold the past few days.... I swear what I'm about to write is related to the gospel - bare with me! :)

While I was watching TV the other night, I saw a special on Nightline. They created a panel of four people coming from very different backgrounds. Two of the individuals believed that Satan exists and the other two did not.  

I found it most intriguing to listen to the arguments of those who did not believe in Satan. The most heated portions of the debates came when those without belief in Satan asked for proof of Satan's existence. The two men who did not believe kept hammering away at those that did, belittling them and making their faith-based belief seem small. There really was some dark power behind them and their words. 

What I got out of the 'face-off' were these main points- 

1st: One of the people on the panel, a preacher, pointed out a fundamental belief that we hold. That is, belief in God implies a belief in Satan. You cannot know good without evil, you cannot know pleasure without also knowing pain. This knowledge is not just something created in the universe. It is real.  

2nd: I think that one of the most powerful tools Satan has is convincing people that he doesn't exist. How better way is there to creep into someone's life if you won't or can't even recognize his presence?

3rd: Faith is enough. I don't know how else to put this. If you have a confirmation, if you believe in something, have faith in it, you don't need tangible proof. Throughout the history of the church, even through the scriptures, this has proven to be the case. We cannot be the generation of sign-seekers. 

4th- What is so terrible about being 'old-fashioned'. I got the impression through watching the debate that those who believed in God and believed in Satan were painted as naive. This is what Satan wants. When we are painted into a corner, when those around us make us feel like less than we are, that we are not as enlightened, we are at risk of forgetting the truth we know. 

Forgive me for getting off topic, but I felt that this was relevant and I hope that you think it is too! I would love to hear feedback on what has been discussed or if you watch the face-off (you can just watch certain segments of it). 

Click here to read more about it or here to watch the full 'face-off'.

No comments: