I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from The Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity - the pure love of Christ - will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness.
- President Marion G. Romney

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Lesson 11

One of the things that I found most interesting about this lesson was in D&C 4:2, which means a lot to me personally.

~ "Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day" ~

We are taught to serve God with all that we have. I imagine myself someday standing before God, and being asked what I have done to serve him. I have read this scripture many times. Years ago, I felt that serving God meant serving dutifully in whatever church calling I am serving in. But I have realized that serving God means much more.

I am serving God when I am an example in the workplace. I am serving God when I go to the temple. I am serving God when I read my scriptures. I am serving God when I support or grieve with others. I am serving God when I strive to help the spirit reside in my home.

I would ask everyone to consider how they serve God. What do we do everyday to serve God with all that we have? Are there ways that we can serve with more of our faculties? 

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

Such a good thing to think about. I feel like I serve God when I actively care for and mold my children. I can't say I do that every day. Sometimes we just "exist" or "survive." When I really take the time to interact with them -- like today I made brownies with just Chloe and it was such a great experience. We were able to discuss the principles of baking (the from a box version) together. We laughed, we talked, and we accomplished something. Things like that make me feel like I'm serving God because I'm serving them.

I need to think about other ways to improve this. Thanks for the excellent nudge, Fish!