I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from The Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity - the pure love of Christ - will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness.
- President Marion G. Romney

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

JSH 1:27-65

Hey everyone - it's Janelle. Today we'll study JSH 1:27 - 65

Here we find Joseph a few years after the First Vision admitting to us that in his youth he was jovial and cheerful and thus was led into situations that are common to youth and human nature. (vs. 28) This description reminds me a lot of my husband. Nothing too bad, but mischievous enough he wouldn't want his own kids doing it.

So what did Joseph do about it? Pray. Here is what he writes:

29 In consequence of these things, I often felt condemned for my weakness and imperfections; when, on the evening of the above-mentioned twenty-first of September, after I had retired to my bed for the night, I betook myself to prayer and supplication to Almighty God for forgiveness of all my sins and follies, and also for a manifestation to me, that I might know of my state and standing before him; for I had full confidence in obtaining a divine manifestation, as I previously had one.

He was bothered in his spirit and felt the need to reconcile himself with the Lord in prayer. I love that he had full confidence in obtaining a divine manifestation as I had previously had one.

I think that when I sincerely pray that I have some anticipation of a divine manifestation as well. Whether it be peace in my heart or an answer to a question or a desperate plea for another being answered with a solution. All I'm saying is that it doesn't take a visit from Angel Moroni for us to have confidence that the Lord will let us know our standing with Him.

Do any of you have similar experiences to share?

When Moroni comes to Joseph he quotes heavily from the Old Testament. I don't have a particular love for the OT and these verses Moroni quoted made me conscious of that oversight.

Why these verses from Malachi, Joel, Isaiah? Did Joseph understand then better than I do now? Do any of you have insight into Moroni's message?

After visiting Joseph in the field, Moroni commanded Joseph to share his experience with his father. Joseph Smith Sr. recognizes it a message from God and tells Joseph to obey.

Have you ever had a prayer answered by a parent? How do you think it helped Joseph that his family embraced his divine call so early and completely?

In these verses Joseph explains how he met Emma.

57 During the time that I was thus employed, I was put to board with a Mr. Isaac Hale, of that place; it was there I first saw my wife (his daughter), Emma Hale. On the 18th of January, 1827, we were married, while I was yet employed in the service of Mr. Stoal.

58 Owing to my continuing to assert that I had seen a vision, persecution still followed me, and my wife’s father’s family were very much opposed to our being married. I was, therefore, under the necessity of taking her elsewhere; so we went and were married at the house of Squire Tarbill, in South Bainbridge, Chenango county, New York. Immediately after my marriage, I left Mr. Stoal’s, and went to my father’s, and farmed with him that season.

Gee, I would not have been too pleased with a young man that "of necessity" brought my daughter off to another county to be married. I wonder what Emma's family thought. I am quite certain she was ok with it but that does not start things off on the right foot.

In these verses Joseph explained what it was like to be in charge of the Gold Plates while translating.

At length the time arrived for obtaining the plates, the Urim and Thummim, and the breastplate. On the twenty-second day of September, one thousand eight hundred and twenty-seven, having gone as usual at the end of another year to the place where they were deposited, the same heavenly messenger delivered them up to ame with this charge: that I should be bresponsible for them; that if I should let them go carelessly, or through any cneglect of mine, I should be cut off; but that if I would use all my endeavors to dpreserve them, until he, the messenger, should call for them, they should be protected.

60 I soon found out the reason why I had received such strict charges to keep them safe, and why it was that the messenger had said that when I had done what was required at my hand, he would call for them. For no sooner was it known that I had them, than the most strenuous exertions were used to get them from me. Every stratagem that could be invented was resorted to for that purpose. The persecution became more bitter and severe than before, and multitudes were on the alert continually to get them from me if possible. But by the wisdom of God, they remained safe in my hands, until I had accomplished by them what was required at my hand. When, according to arrangements, the messenger called for them, I delivered them up to him; and he has them in his charge until this day, being the second day of May, one thousand eight hundred and thirty-eight.


I am sure Joseph was more than willing to give them back to Moroni. What a relief!

Tomorrow: D&C 3, 5 & 10

No comments: