I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from The Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity - the pure love of Christ - will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness.
- President Marion G. Romney

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Living Scripture ~ Because My Father…

This week’s conference talk is “Because My Father Read the Book of Mormon” by Elder Marcos A. Aidukaitis.

Grab your copy of the November 2008 Ensign (page 15) or find the talk here.  Let’s discuss this modern scripture.

From the introduction: I invite all who hear me today to read the Book of Mormon and to apply the promise it contains.  Those who do will know that the book is true.

In this talk, Elder Aidukaitis tells the story of his father’s conversion after reading the Book of Mormon.  He also tells of what else a person can know when they know that the Book of Mormon is true.  He bears his testimony of the Book of Mormon and ends with a challenge for those hearing his voice to read, pray and gain a testimony of this book. 

Read, ponder and share your thoughts.

1 comment:

Amanda D said...

I loved to read the story of his father's conversion. I was born into the church so I don't have an experience like this. As I read it, I wondered, is my testimony strong enough that I would have been baptized even with his challenges? I hope so.

I loved the reminder that he gave that to believe the Book of Mormon is to believe in Joseph Smith, and from there to believe in his first vision, and baptism, and modern prophets, and Jesus Christ and the resurrection, and the plan of salvation. It's so true!

Reading this talk makes me realize that I need to more vigilent in reading my scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon.