I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from The Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity - the pure love of Christ - will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness.
- President Marion G. Romney

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

...He is the Word of Truth and Righteousness...

Today we are in Alma 38 -- Alma's commandments to his son Shiblon. As I studied this chapter tonight, I noticed a recurring theme in Alma's messages to Helaman and Shiblon.

So, what similarities do you find between these two conversations?

What differences do you notice?

How can we follow the counsel Alma gives?

Oh, and what are your thoughts on verse 4? I have some, but as you can tell, I'm struggling to get my thoughts together here. I'll share in the comments section tomorrow if I can get it together.

And for your reference...we'll be in chapter 38 for Thursday and 39 for Friday.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

I hope my dad could have said these same things to me as Alma said to Shiblon when I was leaving for college in vs. 2 and 3

And now my, son, I trust that I shall have great joy in in you, because of your steadiness and your faithfulness unto God.....even so I hope that you will continue in keeping his commandments; for blessed is he that endureth to the end. I say unto you, my son that I have had great joy in thee already because of thy faithfulness and thy diligence.

Yes, verse 4 is super interesting becasue we have no account of this happening in the previous chapters.

Someone quoted vs. 5 in RS on Sunday.. I would that ye should remember that as much as ye shall put your trust in God even so much ye shall be delivered out of your trials, and your troubles, and your afflictions.

I'm sure I don't have a full comprehension when Alma testifies in vs. 9 that Jesus is the light and the life of the world. I wonder if in the next life I'll realise how much this is a reality. But I do understand the other message in this verse that there is no other way or means whereby man can be saved only in and through Christ. I think I'm really OK with that doctrine.

I think my Dad could have given me the same message in vs. 11 too: See that ye are not lifted up unto pride; yea, see that ye do not boast in your own wisdom, nor of your much strength (well not this one, since I'm such a whimpety whimp.) And then he goes on: Use boldness, but not overbearance - I have definately seen the diference here. But I can't say that I've experienced the next one - Bridle your passions that ye may be filled with love. Certainly, if your obsessed with a hobby or talent you let other things slide and get out of balanced but how does bridling your passions fill you with love? Any ideas guys?

See that ye refrain from idleness... well I should have listened to that advice more in college and now.

Then onto vs. 14 I don't know if I acknowledge my unworthiness enough in prayer. I'm such a toddler still with all the I wants going on in my prayers. Gee whiz!

But vs. 15 nails on the head what I really want and what I want for my kids too = and may the Lord bless your soul, and receive you at the last day into his kingdome, to sit down in peace. (Why am I getting a sacrament meeting vision with my kids here and super desiring to sit down in peace?)

Oh and: BE SOBER. Well that last recommendation would have killed me 5 years ago but I'm getting better about not being a spaz attack always getting caught up in different types of drama. I was never over the top - but in my own way I wasn't sober and was uncomfortable around people who were. I see myself not laughing at the same types of jokes and seeing the importance of reverence more and more.