I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from The Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity - the pure love of Christ - will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness.
- President Marion G. Romney

Friday, July 4, 2008

...I Will Give Away All My Sins to Know Thee...

Happy Independence Day, everyone! I hope it is a happy and safe one.

We'll end with Alma 22 today -- the conversion of king Lamoni's father. As you read this chapter, think about what you are willing to give up to know Christ.

What is the level of conversion we should be seeking?

When we share the Gospel with others, what should be our goal?

I know this will be an eventful day for everyone. Just try to get these chapters read during the weekend -- they're too good to pass up!

3 comments:

Janelle said...

vs 15 What shall I do that I may have this eternal life of which thou hast spoken? Yea what shall I do that I may be bron o fGod having this wicked spirit rooted out of my breast, and receive his Spirit that I may be filled with joy, that I may not be cast off ot the last day?

I have felt like this before. I have plead in prayer for similar things and I have been blessed with small and simple testimonies of things here and there. But, how can I keep this spirit? How do I always retain a remembrance that what I really want, really really want is to be like this king and do as he did - give away all my sins to know Jesus?

I love these Lamanites - could anyone be more humble? In the NT Jesus asks one rich kid in or near Jerusalem to sell all he hath and join the kingdom and he walks away. This King is willing to give away his entire kingdom even prior to a witness, just on the testimony of some missionaries.

vs 23 And he did minister unto them, insomuch that his whole household were converted to the Lord.

This speaks loudly about the influence of a righteous father has to preside and teach his children and the people within his sphere of influence. When a Father takes up the reigns and spiritually leads a family great things can happen. Far too often mom is pushing for family prayer, FHE and Sunday worship to be more effective. But a father and mother united, without unrighteous dominion by either party can really lead to an at home MTC experience.

Jocelyn said...

Great thoughts, Janelle. I didn't immerse myself in these chapters like I should have. I read them mostly, but just didn't gain insights beyond the usual.

I love the connection between the rich young ruler and king Lamoni's father. Excellent parallel. Who am I more like?

And amen to the righteous influence of both father and mother. Both are needed to function in the fullness of the Gospel -- and with the priesthood a father can lead and guide and walk beside better than anyone else.

Emma Hall said...

I love these verses. Today I published a hymn based on them:
http://www.ashleyhallmusic.com/Ill_Give_Away_All_My_Sins_to_Know_Thee_%28SATB%29.html
Best Rgds!